Sunday  was  a  day  of  rest,  relaxation  and  packing  my  overnight  bag  for  the  departure  on  the  Big  Trip.  On  Monday  21st  September  it  was  off  in  Bus  No.  33  for  the  300-mile  journey  down  to  Le  Grand  Sud.  Several  buses  went  but  the  whole  expedition  was  so  well  organised  that  we  did  not  proceed  in  convoy  but  seemed  to  time  our  arrivals  at  the  different  halts  to  occur  at  different  times.  Our  mixed  bus-load  of  tourists  mostly  consisted  of  English  people  with  some  Spaniards  and  French  thrown  in.  The  commentary  was  therefore  in  English,  Spanish  and  French,  so  I  could  follow  all  of  it.  Our  guide  (sorry  I  forget  his  name)  apologised  to  the  Spaniards  for  what  he  called  his  poor  Spanish,  but  I  found  that  he  spoke  it  very  well.

For  me,  a  guided  tour  is  not  the  ideal  way  to  go  anywhere  and  two  days  of  it  was  enough.  How  anyone  endures  two  weeks'  touring  I  do  not  know.  Nevertheless,  it  is  sometimes  the  best  and  only  way  of  seeing  certain  inaccessible  places.  If  you  don't  go  by  tour  then  you  don't  go.  So  although  it  was  too  hectic  and  too  tiring  it  was  well  worth  going  and  I  am  glad  I  made  the  effort  to  do  so.

We  headed  due  south  on  an  inland  road  and  came  first  to  El  Jem  where  we  made  a  short  stop,  so  I  saw  a  little  more  of  this  monument  but  not  much.  As  I  had  already  seen  it  on  a  more  leisurely  outing  (the  one  described  in  Part  I)  this  did  not  matter  too  much,  but  Hilda  (an  English  girl  who  was  my  seat-mate  on  the  bus)  was  disappointed  that  we  did  not  have  time  to  descend  to  the  underground  chambers  where  the  wild  animals  used  to  be  kept.  After  this  break  we  continued  driving  south,  passing  through  Sfax  (a  large  industrial  city)  and  Gabes,  which  is  on  the  approaches  to  the  true  desert  and  has  a  large  oasis.  We  now  sensed  proximity  to  the  wild  regions  we  had  come  all  this  way  to  see.

First  taste  of  the  (to  us)  unknown  after  Gabes  was  a  side-trip  even  further  south  up  a  dead-end  minor  road  through  stony  and  hilly  wastes  to  Matmata,  home  of  the  Berber  tribes  who  dwell  underground.  Apparently  these  cave-residences  were  used  as  a  location  for  the  film  'Star  Wars'.  We  were  taken  to  see  a  typical  home.  The  occupants  dig  a  huge  circular  hole  in  the  hillside  and  this  forms  an  open  courtyard  from  which  the  various  rooms  are  excavated  around  it  like  short  spokes  of  a  wheel.  I  took  a  photo  of  the  kitchen  and  nearly  fell  down  a  mysterious  cavity  in  another  room  but  was  held  back  in  time  by  Hilda,  thank  goodness.  Never  did  find  out  why  the  householders  had  a  hole  in  their  floor.  Odd  these  homes  may  be,  but  they  are  said  to  be  cool  in  summer  and  warm  in  winter.  The  rest  of  our  activities  in  Matmata  were  a  short  drive  into  the  surrounding  'moonscape'  which  is  definitely  desert  –  but  not  the  desert,  and  LUNCH  (for  which  we  were  all  by  this  time  well  and  truly  ready)  at  the  Hotel  Matmata,  which  looks  like  a  pleasant  little  hostelry  for  anyone  with  time  to  spare.

Lunch  for  some  of  us  of  course  included  a  most  welcome  bottle  of  'Celtia'  the  light  Tunisian  beer  which  is  very  refreshing  on  a  hot  day.  Yes  -  despite  the  Koran's  ban  on  alcohol,  intoxicating  liquors  are  available!  Afterwards  came  the  start  of  the  really  serious  travel.  We  drove  back  northwards  to  Gabes,  then  had  a  major  change  of  direction,  heading  west  towards  Kebili,  a  settlement  on  the  edge  of  the  Chott  el  Jerid  an  extensive  salt  lake  which  almost  cuts  Tunisia  in  half.  Parallel  to  the  road  on  our  left  was  the  Jebel  Tebaga,  a  line  of  mountains  which,  though  rather  low,  has  a  jagged  saw-tooth  edge  and  looks  as  though  it  has  been  planted  there  especially  to  prevent  the  sand  of  the  Sahara  from  spilling  out. 

At  Kebili  we  turned  left,  went  through  a  gap  in  the  ridge  and  were  finally  there,  travelling  south  again  through  the  genuine  sand-dunes,  looking  at  the  landscape  we  had  all  come  for.  The  wind  blows  the  sand  about  so  that  the  dunes  shift  and  threaten  to  obliterate  the  road.  Therefore  palm  fences  (which  do  not  seem  to  be  of  robust  construction)  have  been  erected  along  the  sides  of  the  road  in  the  hopes  that  they  will  hold  back  the  encroaching  sand.  What  they  really  need  is  some  sort  of  Saharan  equivalent  to  a  Canadian  snow-plough.

The  community  and  oasis  of  Douz,  where  we  shortly  drew  up,  is  the  End  of  the  Road.  A  couple  of  hundred  yards  to  the  south  of  the  Hotel  Sahara  Douz  (where  we  were  ensconced  for  the  night  in  reasonable  comfort)  the  road  stops  and  'Le  Grand  Erg  Oriental'  begins.  This  is  a  sea  of  undulating  sand  which  vanishes  into  infinity.

It  was  now  getting  towards  evening  and  the  sun  would  soon  be  setting.  We  just  had  time  to  check  in,  deposit  our  bags,  hire  typical  desert  dress  (voluminous  robe  +  headgear  with  attached  scarf  meant  for  covering  the  mouth),  and  then  we  were  off,  trotting  down  the  road  to  its  end  where  the  camels  and  their  attendants  awaited  us.  The  ordeal  I  had  been  dreading  was  upon  us!  I  made  myself  go  through  with  it  because  how  else  would  you  get  the  authentic  feel  of  the  desert?  Thirty  or  so  minutes  on  the  back  of  a  camel  is  an  experience  I  prefer  never  to  repeat.  It  was  dreadfully  uncomfortable.  You  are  high  off  the  ground,  hanging  on  for  dear  life  to  a  wooden  framework  (no  reins)  and  fearing  all  the  time  that  you  are  going  to  fall  off  the  insecure  padding  on  which  you  are  perched  just  behind  the  beast's  hump.  In  the  end  they  had  to  halt  my  animal  and  remove  one  of  the  cushions,  after  which  there  was  a  slight  improvement  as  the  padding  did  not  then  swivel  so  much.  My  mount  was  called  Mustapha,  as  I  found  out  by  chatting  to  the  young  camel-driver  who  was  in  charge  of  the  creature  and  who  spoke  French.  There  was  a  driver  to  every  pair  of  camels  and  they  supervised  our  mounting  and  dismounting.  We  were  instructed  not  to  attempt  to  get  on  or  off  without  the  attendant's  help.  I  assure  you  there  was  no  danger  of  my  disobeying  this  rule! 

It  was  nerve-wracking,  yet  I  saw  the  Sahara  as  the  sun  was  going  down  and  the  night  wind  was  rising,  lifting  the  sand.  Even  though  I  cleaned  my  teeth  twice  that  evening,  they  still  felt  gritty.  Later,  in  the  night,  when  I  opened  my  bedroom  shutters  for  some  air,  I  heard  an  eerie  howling  which  must  have  been  that  desert  wind.

We  were  all  exhausted  on  our  return  to  the  hotel,  but  had  a  pleasant  evening:  shower  and  tooth-clean,  visit  to  the  bar  for  a  gin  +  tonic,  purchase  of  the  'official'  photo  of  self  in  'Florence  of  Arabia'  gear  planted  atop  Mustapha,  buffet  dinner  -  and  so  to  bed.