It  was  a  short  night  –  they  got  us  up  at  4.00a.m.  for  a  5.30a.m.  start  so  that  we  could  watch  the  sun  rise.  Now  who  would  want  to  do  that?!  There  are  in  this  world  unnatural  and  uncivilised  persons  who  can  get  up  in  the  middle  of  the  night  (and  what  else  is  4.00a.m.?),  have  a  shower  (I  could  tell  this  from  the  hotel's  plumbing  noises)  and  then  go  into  the  hotel  dining-room  and  eat  a  full  cooked  buffet  breakfast,  plates  piled  high.  As  for  me,  I  washed  my  hands  and  face  then  managed  (with  notable  lack  of  enthusiasm)  to  swallow  one  bread  roll  and  a  glassful  of  juice.  Thereafter  I  kept  nodding  off  to  sleep  in  the  bus  -  but  still  saw  the  sights  that  mattered.

First  of  these,  shortly  after  a  left  turn  at  Kebili,  was  the  Chott  el  Jerid,  viewed  at  very  first  light  through  barely  open  eyes.  Despite  being  depicted  in  blue  on  the  map  as  befits  a  lake,  the  Chott  had  no  water  apart  from  a  few  puddles  and  in  its  expanse  and  flatness  it  resembled  the  beach  at  Blackpool  when  the  tide  has  gone  out  and  the  sea  is  no  longer  visible.  At  our  first  short  stop,  the  sun  was  starting  to  peep  over  a  line  of  hills  to  the  east.  We  then  continued  to  the  next  stop,  a  cluster  of  souvenir  stalls  and  (a  few  yards  further  up  the  road)  a  ramshackle  'toilette'  which  offered  'confort'  but  which  I  did  not  try  or  even  approach.

The  road,  by  the  way,  crosses  the  Chott  in  a  direct  line  and  was  reportedly  constructed  by  the  Tunisian  Army.  Yes,  they  do  have  an  army  and  road-building  is  one  of  the  uses  they  find  for  it  as  there  do  not  seem  to  be  any  enemies  to  do  battle  with  just  at  the  moment,  which  is  reassuring  considering  the  awkward  position  of  Tunisia,  wedged  between  Algeria  (presently  plagued  by  civil  war  and  slaughter)  and  Libya.  I  obtained  a  little  enlightenment  about  this  during  my  chat  with  the  camel  driver  in  Douz.  The  Tunisians  are  keeping  watch  these  days  on  the  Algerian  border  (how  do  they  know  where  it  is  in  all  that  sand?)  as  fugitives  are  attempting  to  cross  it  and  have  to  be  repelled.  And  Libya?  'Tranquille'  the  camel-lad  informed  me.  Maybe  Colonel  Gadaffi  rules  his  people  with  a  rod  of  iron?  Whatever  the  reason,  his  country  is  currently  causing  no  trouble  to  its  neighbours.

Once  across  the  Chott  we  soon  reached  Tozeur,  once  the  southernmost  outpost  of  the  Roman  occupation.  It  has  a  small  airport  and  a  big  oasis  around  which  we  were  all  taken  on  a  tour  by  buggy-ride,  four  passengers  per  vehicle.  Our  driver  looked  like  a  thug  and  his  horse  was  called  Hannibal.  The  height,  denseness  and  variety  of  the  trees  in  the  oasis  made  an  inevitable  and  striking  contrast  with  the  open  and  empty  desert  of  the  previous  day.  The  location  of  the  nurturing  water  is  a  bit  of  a  mystery  -  Hilda  and  I  were  both  expecting  to  see  a  small  lake  or  at  least  a  decent-sized  pond  and  were  rather  disappointed  to  discover  eventually  that  the  water  appears  instead  to  be  a  stream  running  through  conduits.  I  enjoyed  the  oasis  all  the  same  and  was  just  thinking  how  much  more  comfortable  the  buggy  was  compared  with  Mustapha  the  Camel  when  our  ghastly  driver  and  his  frightful  colleagues  all  whipped  up  their  steeds  (were  they  behind  schedule?)  and  we  began  to  bump  and  bounce  in  a  most  alarming  manner  and  were  thankful  to  reach  the  end  of  the  ride.  We  repaid  the  mistreatment  with  little  or  no  tip.

Back  on  Bus  33  we  drove  to  the  town  of  Gafsa  and  after  a  stop  there  for  refreshments  etc.  headed  northwards  to  a  place  called  Sbeitla,  known  in  Roman  times  as  Sofetula.  It  turned  out  to  be  one  of  the  highlights  of  the  entire  trip  and  I  would  have  been  happy  to  spend  additional  time  there,  but  of  course  time  was  lacking.  Sofetula  is  a  very  large  site  dating  from  the  Roman  and  Byzantine  epochs  and  built  of  the  lovely  golden  stone  found  in  Tunisia  which  gives  such  a  warm  glow  to  the  ancient  monuments.  Only  one  fifth  of  the  area  has  been  excavated  to  date.  Were  it  ever  all  to  be  dug  up  and  restored  then  one  would  indeed  need  days  rather  than  hours  to  look  at  it.  There  are  walkways  and  temples  and  a  theatre  and  baths  and  a  Byzantine  olive-press  -  and  so  on.  Flowers,  a  rare  sight  in  Tunisia,  grow  among  the  ruins.  I  could  have  remained  there  all  day  but  had  to  leave  with  the  others  for  a  much-needed  lunch  at  the  Hotel  Bakini  in  Sbeitla  town.

Thereafter  it  was  just  a  question  of  getting  back  to  our  bases  by  turning  north-east  and  aiming  for  the  coast.  The  land  is  still  dry  but  we  were  back  now  among  the  long  straight  rows  of  olive  trees.  Somewhere  in  this  stretch  of  the  journey  our  luckless  driver  must  have  committed  some  infraction  of  the  Tunisian  traffic  laws,  for  we  were  pulled  over  by  a  police  patrol  and  had  to  sit  patiently  in  our  Bus  33  while  the  driver  descended  to  parley  with  the  minions  of  the  law.  He  returned  to  us  after  about  ten  minutes  to  be  greeted  by  good-humoured  banter  from  one  of  the  passengers  (who  had  evidently  had  his  fill  of  haggling  in  the  markets),  'One  dinar  -  very  cheap'  A  dinar  is  worth  about  £2.00.  What  the  fine  really  was  I  do  not  know.  Anyway,  our  driver  did  not  take  offence  at  the  teasing.

We  then  stopped  for  about  an  hour  in  Kairouan  and  those  of  us  who  were  not  interested  in  purchasing  carpets  went  off  into  the  medina  to  prowl  around  the  open-fronted  shops.  The  going  price  for  almost  everything  in  Kairouan,  an  important  city,  is  5  dinars!

Bus  33  got  me  back  to  the  Skanes  El  Hana  about  6.45  p.m.  in  time  for  dinner.  Needless  to  say,  Wednesday  23rd  September  was  a  day  off,  a  time  for  the  pool,  the  beach  and  the  shops  next  door.  Now  that  I  had  done  the  big  trip  to  the  Deep  South,  my  holiday  was  nearing  its  close  and  a  feeling  of  anti-climax  threatened  to  come  over  me,  so  I  went  to  see  Julie,  the  Panorama  rep.  and  booked  another  tour,  one  going  in  the  opposite  direction.

On  the  Thursday  I  went  into  Monastir  on  the  Noddy  Train  to  do  some  shopping  and  take  a  last  look  round,  then  on  Friday  25th  September  I  crawled  early  out  of  bed  again  for  the  final  excursion  which  went  north  up  the  coast  road  via  Sousse  and  Port  El  Kantaoui  to  Hammamet  and  Nabeul.

The  farthest  point  was  Nabeul  and  we  stopped  here  first  for  the  Friday  market.  I  am  not  a  great  fan  of  markets  but  it  was  part  of  the  outing  so  I  had  no  choice  but  to  take  it  in  and  stroll  around  the  numerous  stalls,  eventually  making  the  effort  to  negotiate  the  purchase  of  one  T-shirt.  I  dislike  haggling  but  had  to  do  it  on  this  occasion  as  the  original  price  asked  for  the  shirt  was  ludicrous.  My  best  buy,  though,  was  a  glass  of  'orange  pressee'  which  was  made  from  fresh  oranges  before  my  very  eyes  and  was  gratefully  absorbed  by  my  thirsty  throat.

Then  we  retraced  our  route  as  far  as  Hammamet,  our  second  stop,  which  was  the  place  I  really  wanted  to  see.  Hammamet  is  the  longest  established  tourist  resort  in  Tunisia  and  is  the  rival  to  the  Sousse-Monastir  area.  It  struck  me  as  being  a  very  decent  place,  with  plenty  of  shops  and  hotels,  a  fine  sea-front  and  a  compact  but  attractive  medina.  If  I  go  back  to  Tunisia  one  day  I  shall  seriously  consider  using  Hammamet  as  my  base  so  I  can  see  the  sights  I  missed,  such  as  Tunis,  Carthage  and  Dougga. 

My  final  full  day,  Saturday  26th  September,  was  delightful,  apart  from  the  doleful  task  of  having  to  start  my  packing.  The  sky  was  clear,  the  sun  was  hot  and  sea  was  flat  calm.  That  was  the  day  on  which  I  had  my  swim  in  the  sea  -  plus  a  couple  of  swims  in  the  pool.  A  fitting  end  to  a  holiday  which  had  proved  both  exciting  and  relaxing. 

There  is  little  to  say  about  the  departure  day  –  there  never  is.  The  holiday  is  over  and  you  sit  around  having  food  and  drink  and  waiting  for  the  airport  coach  to  arrive.  And  at  the  airport  you  wait  for  the  plane  to  arrive.  Ours,  fortunately,  was  only  some  30  minutes  late,  nothing  to  worry  about.  I  felt  sorry  for  the  unhappy  group  of  passengers  with  restless,  tired  and  screaming  kids  whose  flight  was  delayed  by  about  three  hours.

The  flight  back  was  good,  my  transport  was  at  Manchester  to  meet  me  (as  I  said,  it's  well  worth  paying  the  £50  return  to  have  the  door-to-door  service),  I  reached  my  house  at  12.20a.m.  on  the  Monday  morning  (but  it  was  still  Sunday  night  to  me)  and  yet  another  holiday  was  over.

I  am  now  collecting  and  studying  the  brochures  and  looking  forward  to  seeing  more  of  the  world  in  1999.