From  choice  I  would  have  rested  on  the  Friday,  but  the  next  (and  last)  tour  which  I  wanted  to  do  was  on  that  day,  so  off  I  went  again  in  a  TTS  bus.  The  Dougga  trip  had  been  exclusively  Roman.  Friday's  excursion,  in  contrast,  covered  several  periods  including  the  present.  We  did  a  circuit  of  Cap  Bon,  going  from  Hammamet  all  the  way  eastwards  along  the  southern  shore  of  the  cape,  around  the  far  end  and  back  along  the  northern  coast  until  we  reached  the  narrowest  point  and  could  cross  back  over  the  isthmus  and  reach  Hammamet  again.

The  first  halt  took  care  of  present-day  tourism.  We  had  to  stop  in  Nabeul,  first  at  a  pottery  factory,  then  at  the  regular  Friday  market.  I  am  no  great  fan  of  markets  as  I  do  not  enjoy  haggling,  but  I  did  come  away  with  some  samples  of  the  cheap  and  attractive  local  pottery.

Then  we  had  a  short  (but  necessary!)  stop  at  a  little  place  called  Kelibia,  which  has  a  crowded  fishing  port  below  and  a  6th  century  Byzantine  fort  on  a  hill  above.  I  wish  there  had  been  time  to  go  up  and  inspect  it  -  but  maybe  it  would  have  been  a  steep  ascent?!

Back  to  the  bus  and  on  to  the  far  end  of  the  peninsula  and  to  what  proved  to  be  my  favourite  spot  of  the  day.  This  is  Kerkouane,  perched  at  the  very  edge  of  a  sparkling  and  inviting  turquoise  sea,  and  one  of  the  very  few  real  Punic  towns  to  have  been  revealed  by  archaeology.  Rich  Carthaginians  had  their  summer  homes  here  and  made  themselves  comfortable,  even  having  pinkish  stone  hip-baths  installed.  Carthage  and  her  empire  flourished  for  600  years,  but  the  reason  for  the  lack  of  pure  Punic  places  is  that  the  vindictive  Roman  vanquishers  knocked  everything  down  and  built  on  top.  Fortunately,  they  overlooked  Kerkouane,  so  we  can  still  enjoy  it  today.  I  remember  walking  rather  nervously  along  the  cliff  edge  between  sea  and  site  and  clutching  for  support  at  some  low  bushes,  the  leaves  of  which  left  a  coating  of  oil  on  my  fingers.  It  was  not  unpleasant,  but  I  do  not  know  what  it  was. 

At  Kerkouane  my  film  ran  out,  so  from  here  I  have  to  rely  solely  on  my  memories  plus  sketchy  notes  in  my  diary!

There  were  two  more  stops,  or  three  counting  a  hectic  and  unidentifiable  but  delicious  lunch  at  the  Hotel  de  l'Epervier  (Sparrowhawk  Inn)  at  El  Haouaria.  We  had  now  rounded  Cap  Bon  itself  and  were  on  the  north  side  of  the  peninsula.  As  well  as  eating  here,  we  went  to  see  some  caves  near  the  sea  which  were  also  used  by  the  Romans  as  a  stone  quarry. 

Finally  we  had  a  break  much  further  along  the  north  side  of  the  cape  at  Korbous,  which  was  well  known  to  the  Romans  and  is  still  well  known  today.  It  is  mostly  a  collection  of  souvenir  stalls  and  open-air  eateries  planted  on  a  steep  cliffside  fronting  the  sea.  The  unlikely  reason  for  this  blot  on  a  beautiful  landscape  is  that  lower  down  the  cliff,  a  few  feet  above  the  sea,  there  is  a  hole  in  the  rock  out  of  which,  amazingly,  there  gushes  a  jet  of  boiling-hot  water  allegedly  having  mineral  properties.  A  few  fun-loving  souls,  keeping  at  a  safe  distance  from  the  scalding  spring,  were  disporting  themselves  in  the  gentle  warmed-up  waves.  It  was  a  bizarre  spectacle  with  which  to  end  our  day's  outing.

So  the  big  excursions  were  now  accomplished,  which  meant  that  my  holiday,  alas,  was  into  its  closing  days,  always  a  melancholy  time.  Still,  the  days  were  there  to  be  enjoyed  to  the  utmost,  with  warmth,  sun  and  rest  still  to  come.

I  took  it  easy  on  Saturday  the  25th,  but  made  sure  I  went  out  in  the  mornings  of  the  Sunday  and  Monday.  On  Sunday  I  went  part  way  towards  town  on  foot,  but  turned  off  to  the  right  to  visit  another  little  tourist  area  which  is  signposted  off  the  main  road  and  which  I  had  seen  on  one  of  the  Noddy  Train  rides.  There  is  a  collection  of  hotels,  shops  and  restaurants  and  I  went  around  the  Miramar  Hotel,  which  has  access  to  the  beach  and  which  a  couple  I  met  in  the  Phenicia  had  stayed  in  during  a  previous  visit.  My  impression  was  favourable  as  the  Miramar  is  well  laid  out  and  like  the  Phenicia  has  attractively  landscaped  grounds  with  mature  trees.  It  took  me  thirty  minutes  of  walking  to  get  there,  but  only  15  minutes  to  get  home  –  I  went  via  the  beach  with  my  feet  in  the  sea,  and  it  proved  a  more  direct  route.  The  wet  feet  are  no  problem,  but  you  have  to  be  very  careful  when  you  get  to  the  stretch  of  beach  where  the  parasailing  enthusiasts  take  off  and  land.

Monday  was  the  day  for  saying  good-bye  to  Hammamet  Town,  a  sad  occasion  for  I  was  sorry  to  leave.  I  went  there  and  back  by  the  Noddy  Train  and  just  wandered  about  in  the  town  centre:  visited  the  post  office,  bought  a  new  strap  for  my  watch  (had  noticed  that  the  existing  one  was  about  to  fall  apart)  and  had  a  beer  at  the  sea-front  cafe  near  the  castle.

Tuesday  was  my  last  full  day,  which  meant  that  after  taking  my  final  swim  in  the  big  pool,  I  had  to  turn  to  dismal  tasks  like  washing  my  hair  and  starting  to  pack.  This  was  also  the  day  mentioned  in  Part  I  when  we  actually  had  some  rain,  a  rare  event  in  Tunisia.  Never  mind!  It  was  warm  water  falling  on  us  and  anyway  I  was  in  my  bathing  suit  sitting  under  a  thatched  palm  umbrella  and  the  clouds  went  away  in  the  end.

Return  home  day  is  always  a  drag,  whatever  time  you  are  due  to  depart  but  especially  if  you  are  scheduled  to  leave  later.  You  have  to  check  out  of  your  room,  so  can't  go  swimming  unless  you  are  willing  to  carry  home  a  soggy  suit  and  towel  (beach  towels  are  not  provided  by  hotels  in  Tunisia)  and  have  to  sit  with  your  book  watching  the  lucky  souls  whose  holidays  are  not  yet  over  disport  themselves  in  the  pools  or  on  the  beach.  Can't  be  helped  -  you  just  have  to  resign  yourself.  All  the  same,  the  ordeal  is  definitely  worse  when  it  stretches  out  to  twice  the  length  it  should.

I  said  farewell  to  friends  I  had  made  during  my  stay:  Monika  and  Josef,  a  German  couple  from  Ulm  (they  spoke  little  English  so  I  had  to  give  myself  a  headache  attempting  to  converse  in  my  rusty  and  fractured  German)  with  whom  I  usually  ate  dinner,  and  a  pair  of  jolly  ladies  from  the  Midlands  (one  was  a  widow  and  the  other  had  left  her  husband  at  home)  whom  I  had  got  to  know  on  one  of  the  excursions.  After  Monika  and  Josef  had  gone  I  treated  myself  to  a  good  lunch  in  the  snack  bar  in  case  I  did  not  have  chance  to  eat  again  for  some  hours  (and  what  a  good  thing  I  did!).

Jean  and  Gwen  (the  ladies  from  Wolverhapmton)  came  to  see  me  off,  so  were  with  me  when  the  Panorama  coach  arrived  and  the  sad  news  was  imparted  to  us  that  our  plane  had  not  yet  even  left  Manchester  and  the  delay  would  last  at  least  three  hours.  Just  what  you  want  to  hear  when  you  are  roomless  and  therefore  homeless.  I  must  say  that  Sonia,  the  Panorama  transit  rep.  (she  is  a  British  girl  of  Armenian  extraction  just  recently  married  to  a  Tunisian)  looked  after  us  very  well,  'us'  being  all  those  Panorama  people  booked  to  go  home  that  day  and  none  of  whom  I  had  met  before  in  the  vast  expanse  of  the  Phenicia  and  its  estate.  One  energetic  couple  had  been  playing  golf  every  morning  and  tennis  every  afternoon,  so  no  wonder  I  never  saw  them.  They  were  all  cheerful  travelling  companions  which  was  a  good  thing  when  we  had  to  be  together  for  several  hours.  Instead  of  taking  us  to  the  airport  at  Monastir  and  just  dumping  us  there,  Sonia  had  the  bus  take  us  to  a  hotel  near  the  airport  which  Panorama  uses  and  where  we  could  wait  and  enjoy  free  refreshments  in  greater  comfort.

Well,  the  'transit  hotel'  turned  out  to  be  none  other  than  the  Skanes  El  Hana,  the  very  same  in  which  I  had  stayed  in  1998,  so  I  knew  where  everything  was  and  took  a  nostalgic  stroll  around  it,  recalling  my  last  year's  holiday  there.  So  the  two  trips,  '98  and  '99  were  unexpectedly  joined  together  at  that  point.  Together  they  have  given  me  an  overall  view  of  the  intriguing  country  that  is  Tunisia.  It  needed  both  journeys  to  achieve  this.

In  the  end,  our  delay  was  four  hours  -  I  reached  home  at  3.15  in  the  morning  of  Thursday,  30th  September  1999.